Mon 02 Mar 2009
1st Section Regional Results
Not a good result for us and a surprising result for others.
Adjudicator: Colin Hardy
1. Wardle Anderson Brass (Sean Conway), 5
2. Blackburn & Drawen (Nick Sheppard), 12
3. Ashton-Under-Lyne (Martyn Evans), 11
4. Manx Concert Brass (Ian Clague MBE), 3
5. Longridge (Steve Tarry), 8
6. Bollington Brass (Peter Christian), 4
7. Vernon Building Society Poynton (Kevin Gibbs), 9
8. Tyldesley (Robert Taylor), 6
9. Freckleton ( Paul Dalton), 10
10. Mossley (Duncan Byers), 7
11. Haydock (Mark Quinn), 1
12. Blackpool Brass (Andrew Warriner), 2
Fri 23 Jan 2009
New Faces & New Places
A few changes in the line up at the start of the year. Our 2nd Horn Player, Callum Mullins, is off studying Law at Cambridge and is replaced by Jillian Hazlewood. Returning from Maternity leave, Jill left her seat on Rep and has now taken up playing the Horn. Ian Moffett returns on 2nd Cornet after a 4 month sabbatical and finally new Solo Cornet player, Adrian Horn joins us from Sale Brass Band.
Sun 18 Jan 2009
Test Piece: Hostile Skies (Richard Grantham)
Adjudicators: Section A: Frank Renton & Paul Norley
Adjudicators: Section B: Denis Wilby & Philip Harper
The top three bands from each section (26 bands in total) challenged for the title in a play off. All four adjudicators were in the box together for the play off.
Play off results
1. Blackburn & Darwen (Nick Sheppard)
2. Cornerstone Brass (Gavin Lamplough)
3. Vernon Building Society Poynton (Kevin Gibbs)
4. Hebden Bridge (Dennis Hadfield)
5. Foresters Brass 2000 (Mike Fowles)
6. Stocksbridge (Miles Davison)
Sat 20 Dec 2008
A fun filled fantastic Christmas Concert was held at the Civic Hall in Poynton last Sunday with the room full of local dignitaries such as:- The Right Honourable Sir Nicholas Winterton MP; Lady Ann Winterton MP; Mr Mike Hanson, Chief Executive of the Vernon Building Society; Councillor Thelma Jackson, Mayor of Macclesfield; Councillor Dave Robbie, Poynton Parish Council & Councillor Alift Harewood of Macclesfield West.
Second half costume themes included Vikings, Sound of Music and Star Wars (pictured) amongst others.
The band would like to wish everyone a Happy Christmas and a peaceful New Year. See you in 2009!
Mon 01 Dec 2008
New baby, Daisy Jemma Hazlewood was born at 3.58 am on the 24th November 2008. She came in 5lbs 12oz and was home the same day.
Congratulations to Rep player Jillian and David with best wishes from the band!
Mon 27 Oct 2008
Pontin's Brass Band Championships
25-26 October 2008, Prestatyn Sands, North Wales
Saturday 25 October
Test-piece: 'Sinfonietta – The Wayfarer' by Eric Ball
Adjudicators: Malcolm Brownbill and Colin Hardy
1. Ashton-under-Lyne, M. Evans, 19
2. St. Dennis, B. Minear, 5
3. Chalford Band, S. Tubb, 8
4. Skelmanthorpe, J. Roberts, 6
5. Vernon Building Society Poynton, K. Gibbs, 20
6. Hebden Bridge, D. Hadfield, 1
7. Blackburn & Darwen, N. Sheppard, 10
8. Friary Guildford Brass, C. King, 12
9. Jackfield, Elcock Reisen, J. Maines, 14
10. Lochgelly Band, P. Drury, 8
11. Drighlington, K. Belcher, 15
12. Wakefield Metropolitan, N. Law, 2
13. Brackley & District, D. Richards, 9
14. Langley, C. Parker, 3
15. Tyldesley Band, R. Taylor, 4
16. Ibstock Brick Brass, K. Ferguson, 17
17. Barnsley Building Society, R. Gray, 13
18. Bedworth Brass, S. Tighe, 16
Glossop Old, J. Davies, w
Mid-Rhondda Band, C. Hogg, w
Wed 24 Sep 2008
Good luck to Ed Bell (2nd Cornet) who has now left the band to continue his studies. What a way to leave coming 2nd at the recent Entertainment contest. Good luck Ed with your studies.
Wed 24 Sep 2008
Congratulations to Ian Moffett (2nd Cornet) on the arrival of his 2nd daughter, Hannah Joy, on Friday 19th September. Both Karen and Hannah are doing well. Ian is now taking a break from banding until the new year to concentrate on family life.
Mon 22 Sep 2008
Full results from the Wychavon Entertainment Contest on Sunday 21st September.
Held at Pershore High School, the band were on good form for the 20 minutes set during which they played four pieces of music.
Starting off with Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’, this piece was specially arranged for the band by Chris Wormald. The band used sound effects to add to the piece including ‘howling’ and the end ‘laughter’ as used in the actual Thriller video.
Second up was ‘How Great Thou Art’ (arr Simon Godfrey Wood). A jazzed up version of the well known hymn, played beautifully by our Flugel soloist, Sarah Johnson.
Next a short introduction of the band was given by Bob Wyatt (thanks Bob) which gave our Euphonium players time for a costume change and on with their duet, ‘Another Fine Mess’ (arr Sandy Smith). This piece was full of crash, bangs and wallops (literally in Gary’s case!). Fine playing by Sarah Dawson and Andy Crosland, nice dancing too, just as good as Laurel & Hardy!
Our final piece ‘Where Eagles Sing’ (arr Paul Lovett Cooper) which finished the performance off rather well.
The adjudicator Roy Sparkes thought so and placed us second, only one point behind the winners, Friary Guilford Band. An enjoyable, and well deserved, pint in a local hostelry on the way home finished the band off nicely. Some more than others!
1) Friary Guildford Brass Band 192
2) Vernon Building Society Poynton 191
3) Otterbourn Brass 190
4) Sandhurst Silver Band 189
5) Shirley 188
6) Foresters Brass 2000 187
7) Bedworth Town Band 186
8) Pontardulais Town Band 185
9) Markham & District Brass Band 184
=10) Brackley & District Band 182
=10) Ocean Brass 182
11) Ibstock Brick Brass 180
Mon 25 Aug 2008
New faces in the Basses
Due to ill health our Eb Bass player is taking time off. Dale Hitchen has moved onto Eb Bass while two new faces have joined the band. These being Graham Keen who has previously played with us and Gary Beswick, who joins us all the way from Australia. His previous band was Midland Brick Brass, an 'A' Grade National Champian Band of Western Australia. The band welcomes you both.
First - Previous - Next - Last