A Brief History of the Band
The original Poynton Band first started in the early 1800's in the coal mining village of Poynton. The exact year is not known, but records show that it was thriving by 1824 and that Lady Vernon, who was involved with charity work for miners families, provided the Band with new uniforms in 1832.
Before World War II, and in the previous century, the band played at Civic events, including the May Sunday Parade and "Walking Day" (Whitsun) in June, the Poynton Show in August, Armistice Sunday and Christmas Carolling and various Church services. Notable parades since World War II have included the Queen's Coronation in 1953 and her Jubilee in 1977.
During the mid 1950's Charley Holt became Conductor. In those days, the band rehearsed on Tuesdays, Thursdays and (between October to April) on a Sunday morning. Through Charley's reign the Band improved its standard of performance to the extent that in the 1960's it graduated from the 4th Section to Championship Section. Prior to this the Band had always been a 4th Section Band.
In late 1974, Alan Lawton became Musical Director and the band won the National Regional Contest in March 1975. Alan conducted the band over several periods up to 2008. Under Alan, Poynton were a band to be beaten and won many contests, but the Band's continued graduation to the Championship Section on a number of occasions tells its own story.
In 1980 the Band staged a concert at the then Quaffers Country Club and engaged Roy Castle to perform with them. This concert helped towards the purchase, in 1981, of the Band's first home of its own, Clumber Road Methodist Church in Poynton.
The Vernon Building Society became the Band's sponsors in 1988. The Band is very proud of its association with the Stockport-based Society. The sponsorship agreement provides sufficient financial support to help safeguard the continuance of the Band for the immediate future.
In May 1999, a lottery grant application was succesful and the band purchased a full set of new instruments. The old instruments were donated to two local schools, Vernon Junior School and Poynton County High School, with the aim of benefiting children and encouraging the playing of brass instruments.
During 2007 Alan Lawton was awarded the M.B.E. for services to music then, in 2008, he handed over the baton to Kevin Gibbs who, over a 3 year period led the Band back to the Championship Section, via an impressive selection of 3rd, 2nd and 1st prizes at contests across the country.
Colin Short took over from Kevin towards the end of 2011 but due to increased work commitments relinquished the role in early 2013.
Neil Samuel came on board to conduct the band at the 2013 North West Regional competition and soon after was offered the Musical Director role. The band is looking forward to working with Neil and improving once more in order to make the step back up into the Championship section once again.